Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Husband is a Geek

Geeks have been everywhere lately. Today's TV and movie culture is flooded with them. They have grown more and more popular with such shows such as the CW's "Beauty and the Geek" and "Reaper", and NBC's "Chuck". How do we define the word Geek? The word can have so many meanings and can mean something different to every one of us. You can find an article on Wikepedia explaining the history and definitions of the word HERE. I define a Geek as someone out of the "ordinary" someone obsessively interested in things like math, science, fantasy, technology etc. In other words, interested in things that are not classified as "mainstream". Again this can be a very personal definition and I am even having a hard time quantifying how I define it myself. I've always considered myself a Geek. Why? I was never very sociable growing up, I love and excel in math and science, I always have my nose in a fantasy novel, I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy movies and TV shows, the list goes on and on. So, like I said, I'm a Geek. Or I thought I was... Then I met my husband.

There was no denying this one, he was one of the biggest geeks I'd ever met. His brother and sister-in-law are members of the SCA and own garb, he went to a number of cons (short for conventions) regularly and had a few costumes to bring along, he owns more boardgames and video games than I know what to do with. Not to mention his DVD collection that includes titles such as "Army of Darkness" and "Fruits Basket".

There are definite advantages to being married to someone like him. He's smart, attentive, sensitive, caring, respectful, and hey, we do have a lot of similar interests. We never argue over what movie to see (we will be first in line to see the new Indy movie). Just every now and again he'll do something or say something that sets my eyes rolling and the words "Oh my god you're such a geek!" runs through my head.

I love him more than life itself, which helps when he drives me nuts with the overflowing game cabinet or clogging up my hard drive with his comic book downloads. But then he'll come home with flowers for me for no reason other than he found them in my favorite color. He never complains about going to see a "chick flick" with me. He doesn't mind coming shopping with me and enjoys watching me try on clothes. All he has to do is look at me in a certain way and my heart just melts. When it comes down to it, it's great to be loved by a geek!

No comments: